Friday 26 February 2010

Please update Polar Protrainer to include elevation data in GPX file

Dear Polar,

I use the RS800CX heart rate monitor with the G3 GPS receiver to track where I go, and use Polar Protrainer to download the track to my computer before I upload it to an online service such as Everytrail.com.

However, although I've activated elevation/altitude recording in the RS800CX this data is not included in the .gpx file. Consequently, I have to:
  1. Import the .hrm and .gpx files into Sporttracks,
  2. export a .fitlog file from Sporttracks, and then
  3. convert the .fitlog file into a .gpx file with elevation data using TCX converter.

It would be a whole lot easier if Polar ProTrainer could embed elevation data into the .gpx file directly - preferrably with automatic update when elevation/altitude data is changed in ProTrainer (using the Error Correction tool).

Kind regards,
Asbjørn Floden

3 comments:

  1. Hi Asbjørn,

    I just got the G3 today and played with it for a while. Like you write I am also looking for a way to have the elevation information in the GPX file. But I wonder what data is stored by Polar, is it coming from the G3 GPS sensor or the barometer in the RS800cx?

    kind regards,

    Chris Senden
    blog.return2senden.nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    As elevation data can be recorded without using the GPS sensor, I am quite sure that all elevation data comes from the barometer in the RS800CX.

    If you download GPX editor (here: http://www.knackes.com/blog/index.php?category/Logiciels) and open a GPX-file from the RS80CX, you'll see that "fixation" is in 2D and not 3D, which would indicate that the GPX file holds elevation data.

    Cheers,
    Asbjørn

    ReplyDelete
  3. However, although I've activated elevation/altitude ecording in the conversion rate improvement RS800CX this data is not included.

    ReplyDelete